Business Spotlight - Dapper Dogs
Who said it’s only humans that can enjoy the services offered by businesses? That’s why this week, we’d like to introduce a business that specialising in making our four-legged friends look and feel very dapper indeed! Meet Dapper Dogs, which is owned by Tracy Burns and Wendy Cockburn.
Dapper Dogs provides a comprehensive dog grooming service covering all aspects of dog grooming. The business’ furry clients also enjoy a salon boasting the most up to date grooming equipment, including electric tables, high velocity dryers, quiet dryers for nervous dogs, custom made hydrobath facilities and many state of the art tools and products.
To find out more about Dapper Dogs, we put a few questions to Tracy:
Business owner: Tracy Burns & Wendy Cockburn
Date business started: 1st June 2012
Business location: 20 Stirling St, Dundee, DD3 6PH
Business tel: 07732 388559
I served 22 years in the RAF.
2. What drew you towards your field of business?
My love of dogs, and after having to learn to groom my own dog who was a Lowchen in breed trim, I was hooked.
3. What hurdles and challenges have you faced in getting to the stage you are currently at?
Financially, dog grooming training is expensive and training schools are few and far between so constant travel is required to keep up personal development, seminars etc.
Changing the premises from an open space to a purpose built salon was also a challenge to ensure we got it right.
4. Since starting your business, if you could have done one thing differently, what would that be?
I would have researched to see if any start up grants or any other financial support was available.
5. What aspect of your business have you taken the most pride in since you started?
Our love and care of the dogs who come to us are our 1st priority, and I pride myself in having the very best staff who are 100% committed to our customers welfare.
6. Do you have any entertaining stories or experiences since starting your business, unexpected events, or interesting developments?
You’ve got to love our job! I remember when I groomed from home and had finished grooming 2 extremely large Golden Doodles. They looked amazing and both lay on the floor to relax.
About 5 minutes later both had a rather extreme bout of ‘the runs’, which resulted in them both needing re-bathed!
7. Has the business recently secured significant orders, expanded its premises, taken on new staff, received funding, produced something unique, increased exports, etc.?
Yes, we have just taken on 2 part time staff.
8. What do you love about running your business? Or the sector you work in?
I absolutely love meeting all the dogs when they come in.
We treat them all as we do our own - and they all become part of the Dapper Dogs family.
9. What plans do you have for the future of your business?
The plan is to continue to give a 1st class service, and maybe one day opening a bigger salon!
If you’ve got a business or idea that can fill a service gap or gap in the market, then Elevator & Business Gateway can help.
From a wide range of free workshops, through to supporting you every step of your journey, Elevator & Business Gateway can help you launch your business or service with confidence.
Contact your local office now to find out more:
Perth: 01738 448310, RossW@ElevatorUK.com
Dundee: 01382 443400, Margaret@ElevatorUK.com
Aberdeen City & Shire: 01224 289700, Amanda@ElevatorUK.comBack to all blogs